Marigold is annual plant of the Decompound family, with yellow to bright orange colour. In wild grow is found around the Mediterranean Sea and Iran, but today it is already spread all over the world with very wide variety of about 20 species. Its name in Bulgarian means literally “not fade”.
Favorite flower for many gardeners, because the seeds which produces in the flowering period maintain during the winter and early spring, sprouts similar to weeds. Likes bright sun and humidity in the soil. It flowers from the beginning of summer until the first snow. In folk tradition marigold flowers are used as a barometer. If early in the morning the individual flower leaflets are equally flowered and parallel to the ground, this means that the day will be sunny with no rain. First evidence of the use of marigold as a therapeutic means come from ancient Greece. Today it is already cultivated plant, one of the most popular and most commonly used in the medical and cosmetic practice, mainly because of its strong effect such as:
- antibacterial, antimycotic, antiviral;
- purifying the blood, normalizing blood pressure;
- regenerating and hydrating means.
Marigold contains significant quantities: essential oil, saponins, carotenoids, flavonoids, mucous substances, organic acids, bitter substances, phytosterols, magnesium, manganese and vitamin C. The saponins have antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal effect, stimulate the mucus secretion , reduces swelling. Flavonoids are the reason for the beautiful yellow-orange marigold color , they have antibiotic action by preventing inflammations, destroy microorganisms, do not allow the formation of blood clots and are strong antioxidant. Carotenoids / also responsible for the yellow and red / including lycopene, are among the most powerful antioxidants improving the immune system function and prevent early aging.
The essential oil has a complex scent, easily dissolved in alcohol and fats, which explains the wide spreading use of the herb in creams and tinctures. Organic acids and bitter substances stimulate the secretion of the glands of the gastrointestinal tract, gallbladder and salivary glands.
For curative purposes is used mainly color, sometimes is included the green part. The herb is recognized as one of the best natural remedies. Used internally and externally.
Internally is used as infusions, the most commonly recommended for diseases of the stomach and duodenum, intestines and gallbladder, kidneys and urinary tracts. It has strong bactericidal properties and that is why it is frequently recommended for bacterial infections, against streptococci, staphylococci, etc. Marigold acts appeasing, lowers blood pressure and improves the function of the heart muscle, purifies the blood. Russian scientists after a long study of the properties of marigold found that it has a strong immune-stimulating effect it even stops the growth of tumors, and they created tablets of marigold called KN. Later, in American medical practice was established a preparation based on marigold as anticancer agent used postoperative when malignant tumors were cut. In the Bulgarian folk medicine marigold is recommended for cancer diseases and is included in all herbal remedies for this disease described by Dunov, Peter Dimkov and Vanga.
Externally it is used in the form of ointment, oil or potion. Its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effect is well manifested in diseases of the throat and mouth, for conjunctivitis, as well as for gynecological washings. Marigold is used extensively in skin diseases, rashes, bites, difficult-to-heal wounds, scars, wrinkles. It is also recommended for varicose veins of the legs and hemorrhoids, in bedsores, burns and freezing in swelling and cracking of the lips. The herb has increased its popularity all around the world after the publication of the book ”Health through God’s pharmacy” of the Austrian herbalist Maria Treben, who recommends to squeeze a drop of fresh marigolds on difficult-to-heal wounds, age spots and skin roughnesses.Marigold is widely recommended for cosmetic products for regeneration and hydration of the skin, especially dry, sensitive and scaly skin.Excellent product for dry and tired hair.
- Because of all this variety of useful properties and beneficial effects we decided to include marigold in our cosmetic line BIO ARGENTUM. Its combination with silver water, with wonderful essential oils and herbal extracts increases its individual properties of each element, so the final effect of the general impact is much better and more successful. The result is clean, nourished and healthy skin of your baby.
Here are some options of using the herbs at home, you can prepare yourself:
- infusion of marigold: 1tbs of dried flower is poured with 300ml boiling water cover and leave for 15 minutes to brew. Strain and drink 100 ml 3 times a day. Can be used to rub the skin.
- Tonic for red skin: 1 teaspoon of marigold flower / better fresh /, ½ cup of distilled water, ½ teaspoon lemon juice. Herb is poured with boiling water and leave for 20 minutes to brew, then strain, add the lemon juice and use to rub in the next 1-2 days.
- A potion of marigold: in 300 ml of boiling water put 1 tsp dried marigold flower and boil for 3-5 minutes, then strain and drink 100 ml 3 times a day. Also used to rub the skin.
- Alcoholic marigold extract: 100 g marigold flower, fresh, poured with 500 ml of alcohol /rakia, vodka / and leave in a cool and dark place, every day shake the container. After 14 days tincture is filtered and infused into a clean bottle. Store in refrigerator.
Watered alcohol extract of marigold can be used for rinsing or compresses in various inflammatory, suppurative processes and wounds, and gargles - 20 drops in 100 g water, and for cold wash the nose with it. At the same dilution marigold can be used for vaginal washing.
Interesting is the recipe of the famous pastor Kneipp, known today, according to which: 50g of fresh marigold flower, 150 g of fresh leaves of marigold, 150 ml of alcohol, 5 ml ammonia 10% , are mixed, stire well and leave covered in container. After a stay of 12 hours the mixture is added to 1000 g melted wax and leave for 5-8 hours at about 50-60˚ C. Use externally.
- Marigold Oil: fresh marigold is cut and well pressed until it fills three quarters of the glass jar, pour with olive oil. Leave for 40 days under the sun, then filter and use for lotion. Very good remedy for wrinkles or fresh skin scars.
- Marigold ointment: in melted and purified lard - to 1 cup, add 2 handfuls of fresh marigold color and mix well. Leave next to the fire until the mixture tightens and then warm up again, drain and pour in the dish in which will be stored.